[NA-Discuss] REMINDER / NARALO TELECONFERENCE - Monday, 10 June 2013 @ 19:00 UTC

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Jun 10 16:29:42 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Please note the meeting conflict below.

My contributions to agenda item 5.1.3 (also labeled "3.1.3") "Review
of Active and Non-Active ALSes" are the mail sent on 6/13. I regret a
spreadsheet capturing all of the salient details is incomplete but
will be forthcoming.

My contributions to agenda item 5.1.4 (also labels "3.1.4") "Overview
of ALS De-accreditation Procedures" is that the criteria used can be
met by a votebot (CORE in fact uses a votebot scheme, as do other
organizations using email-based balloting systems), or by a single
individual, and therefore renders fictional the plain sense of the
2007 MoU creating NARALO out of regional organizations meeting
specific criteria and undertaking specific responsibilities and so
becoming At-Large Structures comprised of one or more organizations,
and Unaffiliated Individual members.

A continuous scheme consisting only of the formality of testing for
the existence of a "vote" from something other than an organization
has the effect of making one individual styled as an At-Large
Structure equal in voting to all Unaffiliated Individual members, and
equal to all At-Large Structures.

As individuals, as members of At-Large Structures or Unaffiliated
Individual members have property interests affected by the decisions
of the Board, and votes in NARALO give rise to acts which advise the
Board, equity and due process issues are present in a correctable, but
continuously uncorrected voting scheme.

My contributions to agenda item 5.1.5 (also labels "3.1.5")
"Disconnect Between "Individual Internet Users" and the reality of
ALSe" is to observe that more than one currently certified At-Large
Structure" appear to have fewer members than there are Unaffiliated
Individual members, though the number of Unaffiliated Individual
members I believe on the available information may be as few as six,
not including myself as the Secretariat has again, for reasons not yet
made clear, that I am not an Unaffiliated Individual member.

My suggestion is that the "one vote in four" criteria for continuous
certification as an ALS be replaced with a test that is organic to the
2007 MoU responsibilities of the NARALO and organic to the subsequent
application and capable of discovery of material misrepresentation.
This is not particularly difficult and a responsibility of Officers
selected by vote. Such a test could detect persistent failures to
inform and enable individual participation, the central purpose of a
committee tasked to advise from the perspective of individual internet
users, which the current scheme can not.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon