[NA-Discuss] Reporting on Durban meeting

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jul 22 20:43:23 UTC 2013

Ick.  Gmail sent my mail without me pressing Send.

A few other points I wanted to make:

   - On gTLD program metrics, I was pleasantly surprised to know that the
   Board accepted BOTH the GNSO and ALAC metrics in toto and has instructed
   staff to act on all of them. Some of you may know that I had taken the GNSO
   working group on metrics to task for producing a set of metrics that was
   self-serving and too limited in scope to properly measure the effectiveness
   of the gTLD expansion program. As a result I helped create a set of
   additional metrics -- some of which were explicitly rejected by the GNSO --
   that better measured the end-user consequences of the expansion. Until last
   week it was unknown whether the Board would accept any of the supplemental
   ALAC-approved metrics. At its meeting Thursday the Board agreed to
   everything we asked for and gave the ALAC and GNSO metrics equal weight in
   its approval vote.

   - The meeting between the ALAC and ICANN
Board<http://durban47.icann.org/node/39673> was
   IMO* very* enlightening. There is an increasing level of comfort between
   the two groups in a frank exchange of ideas, and a better sense that we are
   at least factoring into Board decisions even when they don't go completely
   our way. Some may find interesting an exchange for the last 15 or so
   minutes of the meeting in which almost no ALAC people spoke, most of the
   dialogue was between Fadi and Board members.

   - The budget for the second At-Large Summit -- tentatively scheduled for
   the London meeting in just under a year from now -- is generally approved.
   Congrats to NARALO's own Eduardo Diaz and the ATLAS2 team for building a
   sound case for the event. Now the challenge is for us to make best use of
   that week to inform and empower ALSs. (I'm personally not a fan of using
   that time for "capacity building", IMO that's not ICANN's role ... though
   high-quality accessible information on ICANN issues most certainly is)

   - One issue that was of especially personal interest to me is how the
   term "rights and responsibilities", that has been in frequent use within
   ICANN of late (in part thanks to ALAC keeping the issue at hand) has been
   occasionally changed to "benefits and responsibilities" in the new ICANN
   contracts with contracted parties. I personally raised this at
thePublic Forum<http://durban47.icann.org/node/39853>(second question
asked in the " general community issues" segment of the
   PF. The response? After what seemeed about a minute or so of deliberation
   with ICANN Counsel and other staff, Fadi answered "we'll get back to you".
   I intend to follow up.

Many significant areas of interest to At-Large -- including the way Public
Interest Commitments and Internationalized Domain Names will be handled --
were not resolved at Durban and we continue to be involved in those issues.
ICANN is definitely feeling the aftermath of not having better categorized
the gTLD applications in order to escalate those of greatest public benefit.

So. I guess that's my report, Comments and questions welcomed.

- Evan

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada