[NA-Discuss] VOTE RESULTS: 2013 NARALO Secretary Selection

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Jul 20 07:01:50 UTC 2013

In thinking about what kind of rule we could create to ensure that we
do not have ties, this is what I came up with and it has the support
of Evan and Garth (Eduardo was reachable)

We need to cover the situation of more than the situation where there
are more than two candidates, but the immediate situation is not that complex.

On consultation with a number of people, we came up with four
alternatives of what to do if there was a tie in a race for a RALO leaders.

1. Random selection.
2. RALO Chair casts a second vote
3. ALAC Chair casts a vote
4. The three ALAC members from North America cast a secret vote,
without the option to abstain.

Option 1 is a common solution and is easy. I could live with this,
but I would prefer that we not use random choice to select our leaders.

Option 2 is probably a good choice for the case of Secretariat, since
the Chair will have to work closely with the winner. However, I find
it problematic in the case of a Chair election where the incumbent is
running again, since that puts the Chair in the position of selecting
him/herself. Also, I am uncomfortable with introducing this new
process without the candidates knowing about it at the start.

Option 3 is probably reasonable, but I would prefer that if we go
this way, we decide on it on an all-region basis (that is, to have
the ALAC Chair intercede in a RALO selection process).

Option 4 keeps the decision in the region and I find it the most
palatable option certainly in the short term.

Based on comments, I would be happy to draw up an amendment to our
operating procedures.

Alan