[NA-Discuss] Travel Updates

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 22 22:31:24 UTC 2013

At 22/02/2013 02:17 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

>There's no consistency.
>
>I also have a trip from a previous passport (Canadian passports are only
>good for 5 years but the visa application asks for trips up to 10 years
>back). Based on Avri's advice I had my old passport ready with me(*), but
>they never asked to see it, I had written the Visa number on the
>application, which may have been good enough).

And I told them about a previous visa but didn't think to put the
number on the form and no problem.

>(*) - I don't know about US practice, but when renewing a passport in
>Canada they usually ask for -- and destroy -- your old one. You have to
>explicitly ask for the old one back, at which time they give you dirty
>looks, then stamp things on it and cut its corners. At one time I thought
>that asking for old passports back was just for nostaliga, but as Avri
>found out there occasionally CAN be a practical need. So when your passport
>expires, do what you can to hang onto it.

I've had them cut a small corner off or pierce it with some holes or
stamp cancelled on the ID pages, but that's it. Last time I had to
renew early because the PP was already full, and I was explicitly
told that they were just cutting off a discreet corner of the cover
and ID page so that I could keep the rest as a souvenir.

Alan