[NA-Discuss] address allocation, was Google Fiber

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Feb 10 17:10:13 UTC 2013

On 2/9/13 7:03 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
> The RIRs would stoutly deny that the policy it to allocate available
> space to the wealthiest applicants.  They have rules about who
> qualifies, based on existing usage and documented plans.  The part
> about allowing existing address space holders to sell it directly to
> others is just recognizing reality, since they will do it whether or
> not ICANN and the RIRs like it.

I only follow the ARIN lists concerning policy, and predictably, there
are advocates of "best use" determined by "market price".

An example is whether or not specific transfers (from one prior
allocatee to some other entity) require a needs-based justification.
There has been significant advocacy to eliminate this, leaving only
"market price" as the (re)allocation policy.

> In any event, if the answer is that we don't like the current
> policies, are we willing to go to war with the RIRs to make them
> change them?

Offering advice to the Corporation Board where there is a substantive
public interest issue is the purpose of the At Large ByLaws entity. As
I replied to Joly's one-liner, participation as a body in ARIN policy
development, or any other ByLaws entity's internal process, is not
required.

Eric