[NA-Discuss] Shared Hosting vs VPS: How safe is your website

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Feb 6 20:21:08 UTC 2013

Glenn

On the security issues ..

Shared hosting - yes your site sits on servers with other sites, but that doesn't mean it's more secure than a VPS

VPS or dedicated etc., - your site sits on a server (virtual or physical) that you control

In the case of a VPS you have a lot more freedom and you can do all sorts of "fun" things if you want, but you also end up being responsible for keeping the VPS server up to date and patched.

If you use shared hosting, however, the service provider is going to be looking after the servers for their entire customer base.

Of course the more common issues we see are site defacements where hackers take advantage of exploits in plugins / themes for popular CMS, such as Wordpress or Joomla.

It's quite rare to see a server level hack with the bigger hosting providers, though it can easily happen with some of the smaller operations which are run by one or two people etc.,

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon