[NA-Discuss] Budget for Toronto meeting IMPORTANT/Call for volunteers

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Wed May 30 18:46:10 UTC 2012

I will volunteer to be on the organizing committee.

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
N-CAP/Department of Education
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
dthompson at gov.nu.ca
From: na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] on behalf of Beau Brendler [beaubrendler at earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 10:11 AM
To: na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: [NA-Discuss] Budget for Toronto meeting IMPORTANT/Call for     volunteers

   Here is some clearer information on the budget for Toronto.

   Some issues of note:

   * It appears we will have $25K approved.

   * However, it appears the money is for "inreach," not outreach.

   Note the text of the original budget request:

   It  is  proposed that NARALO hold a participation and engagement event
   concurrent with the Toronto ICANN
   meeting that will bring in all (or as many as possible) ALSs from the North
   American region in order to bring in and
   move up the existing ALSs in the region.  We have noted a drop off input
   from the ALSs since Mexico and an event
   such as this one can stimulate excitement as well as education in order to
   encourage those at the edges to take
   progressive steps to leadership roles.
   2. Type of Activity:
   This  is an âin-reachâ event to bring the existing North American ALSs
   together for education and to encourage a
   sense of camaraderie.  We will be scheduling four, two hour educational
   sessions to run before each day of the
   ICANN meeting in order to bring people up to speed on ICANN Policy, hear
   from the chairs of each AC and SO,
   develop a Communication Strategy and to plan for the future of the RALO.
   All ALSs will also be expected to attend
   all ICANN meetings being held at the venue.  Finally, a NARALO General
   Assembly will be held where more
   strategic planning can take place.  This will encourage those that are less
   active to move up and take on greater roles.
   We are asking for travel support and meeting space.  The total amount that
   we are requesting is $25,000.  We do not
   want to be allocated a specific number of travel spots but would like to
   make this money stretch as far as we can.
   Toronto is a centrally located city and some have expressed willingness to
   drive there or to take the bus or train there.
   We would also like to explore less expensive hotel options.  This will allow
   us to bring the maximum number of ALSs
   to the event that is possible on a small budget such as this.
   *  This  request would, in essence, allow the region to hold a general
   assembly in Toronto.
   * Note that the budget may not be voted on and approved until Prague. I
   would guess more likely after.
   * This will leave tight deadlines for actual logistics.
   * Note that we have lost the participation, as far as I can determine, of
   two members of the NARALO budget committee.
   I would like to request a call for volunteers for an organizing committee.
   It would be best if we do the planning ahead of time, even though funds may
   not be available, in which case, we can match planning items appropriately
   to funds.
   Please  indicate  any  interest  you may have in forming an organizing
   committee. Glenn has already stepped forward to some degree in this role,
   however, I would like to hear from other members of the region, because we
   are going to need your help to make this event successful.
   This will be the key topic for the next NARALO call.
   Beau