[NA-Discuss] Donuts

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jun 11 15:59:59 UTC 2012

I find it hard to find sympathy for investors who are neither thinking the
whole value proposition through, nor doing due diligence by evaluating the
success rate of previous attempts.

There are some companies getting involved that make Verisign look tiny. And
it doesn't take long to see how easily the entire new industry will be
disrupted before it even gets any steam. Think "Google Domains".

As I've said before, I would have been a vociferous opponent of public
money going towards any TLD application that would have claimed to serve
me. Thankfully it seems that local politicians and entrepreneurs appear to
be focused on actually adding value to the Internet rather than extracting
value. Or they haven't bought the hype and just don't care about new TLDs
-- which renders the same result.

- Evan