[NA-Discuss] Voting None of the Above Re: …

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Fri Jul 20 10:19:35 UTC 2012

Hey Avri,

We regular,y get 10 - 14 people on our conference calls.  If you can suggest a way to get more I would love to hear it!

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
N-CAP/Department of Education
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
dthompson at gov.nu.ca
From: na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] on behalf of Avri Doria [avri at ella.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:36 PM
To: NA-Discuss Discuss
Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss] Voting None of the Above Re: …

Hi,

Doesn't this mean we really need to do outreach to the ALS that form the RALO to make sure that at least those organizations that have heard of ICANN and joined a RALO, are frequently invited into the discussion?  And I know it isn't easy.

We seem to have 22 ALSes in NARALO. How many participate in meeting? in votes?

avri

On 19 Jul 2012, at 14:01, Bob Bruen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One should remember that most people in the world have no idea that ICANN
> even exists, much less what it does. We techies forget that outside of our
> little world, no one knows about what we do. If you are not sure about
> this, ask 100 random people about ICANN.
>
> 'RALOs may represent a lot of people, but those people do not know that.
> Many governments and the UN have only recently begun to grasp the meaning
> of ICANN in the past few years.
>
> It's hard to get volunteers when the pool being drawn from is small
> because only a relative few know about it and understand it
>
> It is sort of like trying to large numbers of people to help solve those
> PDEs you have.
>
> $0.02
>                  --bob
>

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, John R. Levine wrote:
>
>>> * How many NARALO members are there?
>>> * How many ALSes in North America are there?
>>> * How many individuals are subscribed to this mailing list?
>>> * What is the subscribe/unsubscribe rate of the list each month for the
>>> past six months?
>>> * How many individuals engage on this mailing list?
>>> * Is there an NARALO Facebook page?
>>> * Is there an NARALO Twitter presence?
>>> * Is there a NARALO newsletter? How many are subscribed to it?
>>> * Is there a NARALO summary of events for members for ICANN Prague?
>>
>> The pattern here appears to be that NARALO members aren't willing to work
>> for ICANN for free.  Uh, no kidding.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Levine, johnl at iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
>> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly