[NA-Discuss] "Chicken and Egg" Problem

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed Apr 4 14:39:02 UTC 2012

With the amount of cash flowing into ICANN this month due to the
applications for new TLDs, a substantial part of which is earmarked for
potential legal issues, and another large batch will not be used for a
long time due to the way the batching process is set up, I honestly
would not worry too much about the reserves. Also bear in mind that each
new registry will contribute another USD 25k to ICANN annually (at a
minimum).

For those registrars holding multiple accredited registrars, their
business models usually depend on these accreditations, at least
partially, so there would be little to no incentive for those registrars
to torpedo their own business models just to punish ICANN a little...

Finally, if these registrars decided to cancel their multiple
accreditations, ICANN would probably able to adapt to the decrease in
funding in time before the reserves run out.

Volker