[NA-Discuss] FW: The European Commission Papers on ICANN

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Sep 7 20:56:25 UTC 2011

I admit I am somewhat of an outsider and my opinions are subjective. But it
seems to me that all the vocal opposition to new TLDs is coming from the
80s/90s Internet old guard. In contrast, at ISOC-NY we sponsor something
called hackNY that brings in students from all over the country to work at
startups over the summer, and mounts bi-annual hackathons. To these kids the
Internet, particularly mobile, is their playground and they are straining at
the leash to explore every quirk and facet they can discover. They look with
enthusiasm at widened addressing possibilities.

Admittedly it's all relatively confusing to the average Joe, but he has
shown a remarkable aptitude for adopting useful, and ignoring other, aspects
of Internet development.

One thing that really impressed me at our recent INET was Vint Cerf's
continued emphasis, and he should know better than anyone, that the Internet
is a dynamically changing entity driven by its users.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com