[NA-Discuss] A comment on the Andruff Bundling Letter

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon May 23 19:31:32 UTC 2011

Avri,

At New Delhi Edmon Chung and I raised the SC/TC issue with Peter and
Paul. Their response was exceedingly prompt and direct -- we were
trying to get something without paying for it.

Later, and I'm trying to remember which meeting it was, but its been
on the order of two years, the ccNSO IDN FastTrack was limited to one
script per territory.

Now the one-per limitation has been relaxed, with SC/TC called a
"variant" and various Arabic Script terminal characters also called
"variants", for the ccNSO IDN FastTrack.

However, Peter, and now Ron, have not shown any interest I'm aware of
in revisiting the problem.

I conclude that GNSO policy was not the primary motivation of Peter
and Paul in New Delhi, and not the motivation of the ccNSO, and may
not be the motivation of Peter and Ron in the present.

Other than that, I agree that attempting to make a change in what an
application is, from the point of view of the language needs of the
populations to be serviced, with junior staff is structurally unlikely
to have the desired results, and with senior staff has been tried
without apparent effect.

This leaves the broad membership of the Board, the GAC as a source of
advice to the Board, the ALAC as a source of advice to the Board, and
simply paying a duplicate fee to retain indigenous languages where
colonial history has provided a European language, or duplicate fees
to retain linguistic plurality unextinguished at the present time.

Eric