[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Beau Brendler beaubrendler at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 31 21:51:11 UTC 2011

>It is interesting to note Antony's chronology, and the observation that as
ALAC has grown more democratic and less appointed, it has cooled to the gTLD
hysteria about gTLDs shared by ICANN's more-vested interests.<

Another factor I suspect is that a number of members of the ALAC who had their own self-interest in new gTLDs have moved on, or the financial interests are no longer there.

I can't think of a single end-user I have encountered over the last decade who has given a damn about access to new top-level domains. Rather, they want to know which existing domains are "safer" than others. I have talked to some "content" providers, for lack of a better term, who are interested in .health, and I can clearly see their reasons, as well as .gay and .trust (signed domain/DNSSEC for banking).