[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Mar 30 01:00:20 UTC 2011

> One of the fundamental points about the ALAC position, and one can assume the At-Large position, is that they do not mind a delay in the start of the new gTLD program.

Speaking personally, prior to the Cartagena meeting I wrote Heather
Dryden and Peter Dengate Thrush on one point in their exchange of
notes in September and November -- city names -- and took the
opportunity of being able to speak with Heather personally, as well as
the GAC delegates with the issue responsibility. That letter is
attached should anyone feel compelled to read it.

That Friday when the Board declined to vote to approve DAGv5 as-is, I
was in fact pleased that the opportunity to develop policy concerning
city names had not been overcome by events.

To pick an example already used in this thread, I think the choice of
the DOITT as the applicant for .nyc is a better choice than the
outcome of an auction for .nyc, and while a DOITT application for .nyc
could be brought as a Community-Based application, and could be
crafted to meet the 14/16 requirement to prevail over all other
applications, except those Community-Based applications brought by
other other parties, perhaps a New York City based public interest
organization not affiliated with the City's executive, in general, the
name resources of non-capital municipalities is not something to
allocate by private auction, nor is ICANN the proper beneficiary of
the "market value" of the name resources of non-capital municipalities.

I'm not suggesting what the NCUC's position is on the disposition of
the name resources of urban agglomerations, as I don't actually know
what position the NCUC currently holds on this, or any policy question.

Eric