[NA-Discuss] Statement on Pre-Registration: Draft for discussion

RJ Glass jipshida2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 01:17:48 UTC 2011

I agree, John.

RJGlass
A at L

________________________________
From: John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com>
To: Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>
Cc: NA Discuss <na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Sent: Wed, June 15, 2011 8:41:18 PM
Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss] Statement on Pre-Registration: Draft for discussion

>> But there was a larger error in assuming that all NARLO members would be
>> aware of the utility of a TLD for a large global city like New York.

Hi.  I'm from New York, so I don't have to be as polite as my Canadian
friends.

City TLDs were a bad idea in 1996, and they're an even worse idea now.
Their only transformational effect would be to transform money out of the
pockets of the suckers who registered in one into the pocket of the
domain's sponsor.  (Well, if the past decade is any guide, they will also
transform the sponsor's investment into nothing.)

Many of us have been around the domain world for rather a long time.  For
example, I registered my first domain (in the city domain cambridge.ma.us)
about 20 years ago, and my .COM in 1993.  We are not suffering from a lack
of understanding; we probably understand the way domains work as well as
anyone.

This is the wrong place to look for naifs who are foolish enough to
imagine that that new TLDs are anything other than a speculative money
grab.

Regards,
------
NA-Discuss mailing list