[NA-Discuss] Fwd: The Internet Society on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Mon Jan 31 13:12:52 UTC 2011

I've been following this discussion over the last couple of days with interest ..

On 31 Jan 2011, at 12:48, Marc Rotenberg wrote:

> What of a statement that had these elements:
>
> - Note recent developments in Egypt
>
> - Acknowledge that the problem is not unique to Egypt
>   and could arise elsewhere in the future
>
> - Express concern on behalf of Internet users
>
> - Recognize ICANN's limited authority on policy matters
>
> - But call attention to Core Value 1
>
>   "1. Preserving and enhancing the operational stability,
>   reliability, security, and global interoperability of the Internet"
>
> - Note that this value also reflects fundamental norms
>   for freedom of expression widely recognized around the
>   world

Widely - maybe, but not globally ..

> - Recommend that ICANN (options)
>
>    (1) Communicate to Egypt concern regarding the
>          specific actions recently taken to limit Internet access

And Egypt's response, if any, will probably be how it is a "domestic matter" and none of ICANN's concern ..

>    (2) Remind all governments (?= GAC) of their obligations
>          to uphold Core Value 1

Huh?

How can you "oblige" a government to do that, or anything else for that matter?

>    (3) Begin the development of technical methods to
>          prevent such "outages" in the future

I don't see how you can really prevent something like this is the regime really wants to cut themselves off.

Sorry, but I just don't see how you're going to help anyone with this

I'd also wonder if it's really ICANN's place to be making these kind of calls ..

ISOC maybe ..

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon