[NA-Discuss] Notice of Motion: update to ALAC advice on gTLDs

Garth Bruen at Knujon.com gbruen at knujon.com
Mon Dec 19 16:35:46 UTC 2011

+1 from me.

I have not seen anyone on this list OPPOSED to new gTLDs, to keep saying
comments, corrections, concerns, and questions about the program is not
opposition. To keep saying folks here want to stop the program is
fallacious.

In reference to Wendy's comment about competition; competition in this
market is an illusion while 5 Registrars control half the accreditations
through shell companies. The unknown influence these Registrars have within
ICANN is unchanged by policies set forth in the new gTLD program.

If ICANN wants continued support of its agenda from At-Large, it needs to
recognize At-Large's advice. If ALAC gets steamrolled during a critical
phase like this it will get steamrolled on much smaller issues. It would be
a mistake for the U.S. gov't to reassert control of the 'Net after approving
privatization already, it's not going to happen and any statement by ALAC
would not reverse the movement. This is about the organization keeping its
promises.

This is the letter from the US FTC chairman to ICANN issued on Friday:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/closings/publicltrs/111216letter-to-icann.pdf. It
basically says what Evan is saying: advice has been ignored and promised
protections have not been implemented.

If one only listens to Kurt Pritz's testimony they might think that all
outstanding questions have been addressed and this is why the program is
moving forward on schedule. Clearly, this is not the whole story.