[NA-Discuss] U.S. House Hearing Wednesday -- NPOC statement

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Dec 12 19:35:12 UTC 2011

On 12 December 2011 14:13, Beau Brendler <beaubrendler at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Note that, in addition to being asked to testify (
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/npoc-voice/msg00064.html), the NPOC is
> preparing a statement for the congressional committee, due tomorrow
> afternoon. The NPOC appears to be speaking for the NCSG if I read the notes
> correctly. The YMCA's IP person was their rep to the committee.

Trust me, the YMCA spokeperson, Angela Williams, absolutely did and does
NOT speak for the whole NCSG (though I am aware she has consulted with
other NPOC members), The NCUC is VERY opposed to what she (and Esther
Dyson) said to the Senate.

The NCSG mailing list essentially vilified the all the speakers except for
Kurt. And -- as ALAC liaison to the NCSG -- when I dared mention that ALAC
had taken previous negative positions about the gTLD program and that we
hadn't really part of the consensus Kurt spoke of, I received a full blast
of the "Milton treatment" that Beau and Avri and othes here know
all-too-well. I was even taken to task for even speaking, with suggestions
that liaisons be seen and not heard.

By contrast, a speech given by Strickling the same day (that was mentioned
by Joly) was paraded by gTLD goldrush supporters as a vindication of the
status quo. I didn't see it that way, but still...

- Evan