[NA-Discuss] IMPORTANT: US Senate hearings on new gTLDs

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Fri Dec 9 16:38:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

I disagree that Kurt was conveying a meaning of Complete Consensus when he referred to ICANN Consensus.   He was quite specific about the rough and tumble of ICANN consensus and even made reference to the NCUC, whose members were the only ones that did not support the policy recommendation at the time it was approved.  I note that although they did not prevail in the consensus and were part of the losing voice, they have since supported the ICANN consensus decision made against their vote.

I agree that the ALAC deserves a real response to its advice, and when ALAC says something is unacceptable, there should be a process, I beleive one that is similar to that accorded GAC advice, to discuss and close the issue.  And I find it problematic that the Board has never discussed these issues with the ALAC (I am assuming they haven't since I don't really know - did they?  Was it ever part of the BOARD-ALAC regular face to face discussions? Did we formally request further dialogue on the At-Large issues? GAC did not get it negotiations automatically as far as I know).

As for the new gTLDs themselves.  I personally support them going forward now, warts and all, and would not support a letter from this RALO or from ALAC stating that At-Large opposes new gTLDs.  I think the task now is to make sure they happen fairly and live up to all the promises.  And to fix what we can along the way and for the next round.

I would support a letter that laid out the complexities and the differences of opinion. Unless there is an At-Large decision against new gTLDs according to its processes for such a major decision or advice, I would find it hard to accept that as the voice of the users; as hard as I found accepting Dyson's claims to being the USERS' representative.  I could also personally support a letter that included any changes ALAC advises would make the new gTLD process better, kind of like they did with JAS.

One take way I had from the meeting was that those who were objecting to the new gTLD program were missing the fact that many of the protections that exist in the new gTLD process that do not exist in the incumbent gTLDs (would that they did!).  I think Senators and those who testify should be better educated about their subject manner.  For example I found it amazing that those seeking defense from new gTLD in their name, did not admit to the existence of the Independent Objector, who could take their issue forward if someone was applying for their name fraudulently.  All of the Charitable and Service NGOs could use this avenue as well as the good services of their GAC representative who could bring GAC consensus into supporting their cause, when just.  E.g. I am certain that if a group of pedophiles where to apply for YMCA, the US GAC representative would make sure that it did not go forward, it might even fail the first test on the applicant-check.  So they have lots of avenues for redress without having to resort to a too-high* Formal Objection fee.

I hope ICANN releases and sends to the Committee a point by point refutation of the negative points made in testimony - showing the mechanisms that have been created to address the particular concerns (e.g. application question 18c in response to defensive second level registration issues).  Kurt needs to have a much more complete set of talking points; the process is complex and it is difficult to remember the remedy that was created for each of the hundreds of criticisms that have ben made.  And if this were on line, it would be great for them to have a placard showing the url and a QR.  Could even be updated real time by the ICANN boiler room in the background.

avri

* And yes, all of the fees are absurdly high.  But what can you do in a world controlled by bean counters.

PS: It was like IDNs did not exist and where not an important motivation for new gTLDs - then again it was an US Senate Committee.

On 8 Dec 2011, at 19:21, Garth Bruen at Knujon.com wrote:

> Beau - Kurt did cite the multi-stakeholder model, unfortunately the way he
> cited it made is sound as if all the constituent groups were 100% on board
> with the way things are going, glossing over various concerns, questions,
> and protests. -Garth

>>> Blacknight