[NA-Discuss] Bottom Up Action Procedure - Take 3

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Tue Aug 30 18:57:05 UTC 2011

Eric,

Very interesting.  I think we just see the process in two different lights.  I don't think that this in unimportant and am sorry that you somehow got that impression.

It was actually my position at the beginning of these discussions that it should be our elected representatives that should be bringing these matters up to the ALAC.  It was then pointed out a couple of times by Evan that the elected ALAC reps may be very busy with other matters and that it shouldn't be up to only them and that anybody can and should bring things forward to the ALAC.  That is what caused my wording of that paragraph to change such that the person bringing this to ALAC should be someone whom the region appointed.  I personally think that in most cases it would be one of our elected ALAC reps but by leaving the wording open, it can be anybody that we choose/appoint that will spearhead the issue at hand.  There may be someone who is more qualified on a specific issue to speak to it than our elected reps, as well.  It would then be this point-person that will be the liaison between the ALAC and NARALO in discussions about the issue.  If our own elected ALAC reps are suggesting this, then I cannot see how this is "undermining" them.

We are not actually "informing" ALAC of anything - we are generally asking that they support/back a position or policy.  The actual request will be issued from the NARALO Chair to the ALAC Chair and then the rest of the discussion delegated.  Also, check out the wording that Eduardo just submitted - I think that might be something that could wrap this up neatly.

Darlene A. Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Dept. of Education / N-CAP
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
E-mail:  dthompson at gov.nu.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: ebw at nic-naa.net [mailto:ebw at nic-naa.net] On Behalf Of ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:23 PM
To: Thompson, Darlene
Cc: na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: RE: [NA-Discuss] Bottom Up Action Procedure - Take 3

Darlene,

I don't think we should undermine the difference between our elected
representatives and those appointed by others, or elected by others.
So I prefer that "informing" be done by the elected representatives,
to the body they are elected to, not as a courtesy between chairs.

If you think this is unimportant, that's a reasonable point of view.
If you think this is important, but could be worded better, or already
is better worded, pointing that out would help me.

Similarly, while an issue may be, as Even points out, forwarded by anyone,
there is a difference between a regional body informing a coordinating
body of a policy decision reached under collegial and transparent process,
and anyone advocating that, or any other particular policy. Again, I don't
think we should undermine the difference between our elected representatives
and anyone else so I prefer that "informing" be done by the elected
representatives, to the body they are elected to, not any other person,
as the default, from which exceptions may be made.

Again, if you think this is unimportant ... point that out would help me.

Thank you for pointing out that the composition of the At Large Advisory
Committee does not necessarily contain any elected representatives from
the North American Region. I missed that. That did help me.

Eric