[NA-Discuss] Bottom Up Action Procedure - Take 3

ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Tue Aug 30 15:21:24 UTC 2011

Darlene,

> IMHO, item 4 deals with what happens if the ALAC rejects the proposal.
> The liaison reports back to the group and then we start back on Item #1
> (wash, lather, repeat as needed).

As Even's already pointed out, a referal of "pre-registration" to ALAC
is a waste of time. There's not a lot to be gained by "wash, lather, repeat
without effect".

> Please provide specific wording that you would like to see that can be
> discussed on the list.

So for the purposes of discussion on the list I propose that #2 be changed
as follows:

Old:
> 2. Once consensus is achieved according to the NARALO Operating Procedures,
> the NARALO Chair sends a request to the Chair of the ALAC clearly stating
> our intentions and a specific request for action as per the group consensus
> decision.

New:
> 2. Once a decison is achieved according to the NARALO Operating Procedures,
> the regional Chair instructs the regionally elected  member(s) to the
> Executive of the At Large Advisory Committee to inform the Executive that
> a decision has been made.

This change (a) allows "voting" to be the possible means of deciding any
particular policy issue, and so will not fail if voting is adopted as a
decision making mechanism, for failure to be a "consensus" decision. It
also (b) substitutes the rights and responsibilities of any member elected
from the region to "inform" for the Chair-to-Chair courtesy. It also (c)
does not assume that informing the Executive will have any outcome, as such
an assumption is beyond the control of the regional organization.

Eric