[NA-Discuss] Bottom Up Action Procedure - Take 2

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Tue Aug 30 13:52:06 UTC 2011

Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry that I missed your question below and just saw it now.

Gordon's question:  My question is, are we making a request or a (respectful)
recommendation?

I would think that this will differ from subject to subject.  Normally, if we are kicking this up to the ALAC, we would be requesting that they support our position on a matter but this may not always be the case.

Darlene A. Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Dept. of Education / N-CAP
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
E-mail:  dthompson at gov.nu.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Chillcott [mailto:gordontc at look.ca]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:01 AM
To: Eduardo Diaz
Cc: Thompson, Darlene; na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss] Bottom Up Action Procedure - Take 2

Another *very* quick pass at Item 2, along with a question:

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 15:29 -0400, Eduardo Diaz wrote:
> See below:
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Thompson, Darlene <DThompson1 at gov.nu.ca>wrote:
>
> > OK, I have tried to incorporate all of the comments but still keep this
> > simple and flexible.  Again, comments are actively encouraged!
> >

> > 1.       NARALO has a discussion on its mailing list and/or telephone
> > conferences about a policy position it wishes the ALAC to advance.
> >
> > 2.       Once consensus is achieved according to the NARALO Operating
> > Procedures, the NARALO Chair sends a request to the Chair of the ALAC
> > clearly stating our intentions and a specific request (What do we want them
> > to do?).
> >
> Once consensus is achieved according to the NARALO Operating Procedures, the
> NARALO Chair sends a request to the Chair of the ALAC clearly stating our
> intentions and a specific request according to what the NARALO group decided
> as part of its consensus (or something similar to this).

Once consensus on the policy position is achieved according to the
NARALO Operating Procedures, the NARALO Chair sends a request to the
Chair of the ALAC clearly stating that policy position and any specific
requests that arose from the NARALO group's consensus.

> > 3.       A person or people from NARALO will be designated as the ALAC
> > liaison for the specific issue and it will be their responsibility to
> > request that the matter be given a place on the ALAC agenda.  This person or
> > people will then present the matter to the ALAC during their regularly
> > scheduled conference call.
> >
> > 4.       The liaison will then report back to the group.
> >
> > How does this one sound?

My question is, are we making a request or a (respectful)
recommendation?

Gordon