[NA-Discuss] Pre-registration statement and ALAC - update

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight michele at blacknight.ie
Fri Aug 26 18:36:29 UTC 2011

On 26 Aug 2011, at 17:47, John R. Levine wrote:

>> You point out the following:
>>
>> 	o if money is not exchanged until a condition is met, that such
>> 	  offers are not consumer fraud, false advertizing, etc.
>>
>> It could be useful to know if this view is informed by competent legal
>> advice, and for which jurisdictions this view is supported by competent
>> legal advice.
>
> I work with law enforcement in a variety of countries dealing with online
> crime, and I can confirm that they are vastly less interested if the
> victim has no financial loss.  Arguments about opportunity costs due to
> being misled aren't persuasive.
>
> So I agree that it's sleazy, but it rates fairly low on the big list of
> things to be outraged about.

John

I'd agree with your sentiments, however, while it may not be as big an issue as phishing fraud or other criminal activity, is it necessarily wrong to condemn it?

Or if "condemnation" is the wrong line to take, then maybe it's a good opportunity to educate people about the new TLD program and its realities.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions