[NA-Discuss] Fw: Ban Use of Social Media - British PM

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Aug 15 19:49:56 UTC 2011

Hello fellow NARALOites.

It was not that long ago that some in NARALO led the charge to push for
ICANN to very publicly decry the activities of the Egyptian government, in
halting use of the Internet because of its ability to allow protesters to
collaborate.

I'll be the first to recognize the recent riots in Britain as being the
works of cowards and punks rather than legitimate protest. However. the
resulting scapegoating of social media -- and the calls to allow for its ban
based on government whim -- are no longer seen as merely in the realm of
despots and dictators.

Should this trend in democratic countries not be at least as alarming as the
events in Egypt? Do you trust governments to always recognize and respect
the differences between legitimate protest and mindlessly-destructive
anarchism? (As a resident of Toronto, I saw these boundaries routinely
obliterated on my streets during last year's G7 conference...)

If the UK can ask for it publicly, can we be sure that others have not
contemplated it privately?

Most importantly here -- does ICANN have a role -- in the name of preserving
Internet access and stability -- on this topic?

Just askin'...

- Evan