[NA-Discuss] Mentioned during the 13 September NARALO Teleconference ... VI PDP WG

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Sep 13 21:08:37 UTC 2010

Dear All,

At the close of today's call Evan mentioned the Vertical Integration
Working Group and his impression of it, which I expect are shared by
several others.

As I see it there is one fundamental issue: will the registrar
function remain mostly indifferent to registry ownership or will the
registry function partition into several disjoint patterns?

The general proposal promoted by registrars wanting to acquire
registry margins, and also by registries wanting to acquire registrar
margins, is to have both registrar function and registry function held
by the same investors.

With each of {GoDaddy, eNom, TuCows, NSI, ...} and each of {VGRS,
Afilias, NeuStar, CORE-RSP, ...} holding portfolios of new gTLD
properties, and affiliated registrars, respectively, this will lead to
a market in which each actor promotes their portfolio interests.

The resulting market, independent of the value of the commercial
propositions of the dominant registrars and the incumbent registry
operators, will be "Balkanized".

A variant of this proposal is also promoted by registrars wanting to
acquire registry margins, and also by registries wanting to acquire
registrar margins, is the "Not in your own TLD" modification, which is
described by some (me included) as lipstick on a pig.

Under NiyoT, any pair of {GoDaddy, eNom, TuCows, NSI, ...} and/or
{VGRS, Afilias, NeuStar, CORE-RSP, ...} may cross sell the portfolio
interests of their partner, or more generally, the corporations within
their trust or combine.

Again, resulting market, independent of the value of the commercial
propositions of the dominant registrars and the incumbent registry
operators, will be "Balkanized", into larger commercial clumps than in
the original cross-ownership proposal.

These are adverse outcomes for consumer choice, however, the effect
does not stop at the certainty of price gouging and limited choices.
The real harm is not the immediate "consumer harm", but the failure of
the competitive portion of a formerly monopoly market, now an
oligopoly, to transform the monopoly market to a competitive market.

Thank you all for your time reading this. I don't expect to change
anyone's mind, only to explain why I don't think the most important
issue is some claim of merit advanced either by a registrar looking to
own one or more registries, or by a registry looking to own one or
more registrars, and why I think the Board made the correct choice at
Nairobi and lowered the allowed cross-ownership from 15% generally in
the 2001 and later registry contracts to a strict separation of 0%
cross-ownership.

Eric