[NA-Discuss] NARALO stance on At-Large Director Petition
evan at telly.org
Sun Nov 7 14:43:42 UTC 2010
Today is the deadline for each RALO to determine if they will support any
petitions for candidates for the At-Large Board Director position.
Based on the feedback received I am conveying to you that *NARALO is not
advancing any candidate petition*.
In response to an initial solicitation of feedback from members, I have
determined that majority of NARALO is against petition. At very least we
have certainly not achieved anything near consensus.
IN FAVOUR OF PETITION: 4 ALS Representatives, 2 individual members
AGAINST PETITION: 5 ALS Representatives, 2 individual members
I will not be posting the list of everyone who expressed an opinion on this
issue, since some of them sent me private messages. Given that this decision
was about individuals and not policies, I am prepared to protect that
privacy to an extent. However, I have sent a verifiable list of member
choices to Darlene and Heidi, lest there be any accusations that the count
of opinions received has been fabricated. As Chair, I am not registered
either way in the above count.
One NARALO ALS representative indicated that the ALS was reserving judgement
pending further review, and I have not heard from them since. However, even
should this ALS be in favour of petition, that would still be a 50/50 split
within NARALO which I would still consider to be insufficient support.
Opinion was very strong on both sides. There really hasn't been anything
like this -- upon which consensus could not be reached -- since NARALO was
Still.. I am proud of the work done by the BCEC and its NARALO contingent, I
hope that NARALO members are satisfied with the process used to determine
this result given the compressed timeframe, even if you disagree with the
result itself. And I am confident that we will be able to select a Director
who will well represent our interests on the ICANN Board.
More information about the NA-Discuss