[NA-Discuss] Using Starlink in North America

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 05:20:20 UTC 2024

Hi all,

The topic of Internet access and "connecting the unconnected" has been a
frequent topic in ICANN circles (though I question what substantial role
domain names play in it).

Along those lines -- and since many people here are involved in other
realms of Internet Governance more-directly concerned with access and
connectivity -- I saw this article and thought it might be of interest.

https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics/broadband/using-starlink-to-get-high-speed-internet-service-a1191801174/

Consumers Reports magazine has recently published a report on the utility
of Starlink as a way for people in the most-remote locations to get
reasonable Internet access. While Starlink has been in the news because of
its deployment in the Ukraine war, it seems (to me) that little attention
has been given to it as a reasonable way to provide connectivity to remote,
low-density communities for whom conventional wired connectivity is
prohibitively expensive in our own region.

The article indicates that the service is reasonable in service, even for
online gaming. Cost is $600 for the equipment and $120 per month for the
service. Not cheap, but not incredibly out of the realm of conventional
services.

Longtime NARALO members may also recall that Consumers Union, the publisher
of CR, was once a NARALO ALS.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56