[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Quad9 Enabled Across New York City Guest and Public WiFi

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Mar 29 20:49:25 UTC 2018

I suppose this is a good thing?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Global Cyber Alliance <no-reply at globalcyberalliance.org>
Date: Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 4:18 PM
Subject: Quad9 Enabled Across New York City Guest and Public WiFi
To: jolynyc at gmail.com

NYC adopts the Quad9 cybersecurity platform across all New York City guest
and public WiFi access locations.
Quad9 Enabled Across New York City Guest and Public WiFi

New York, NY, March 29, 2018 – Mayor De Blasio launched NYC Secure, a
cybersecurity initiative to protect New Yorkers from malicious cyber
activity including when they access the NYC public WiFi. Part of the NYC
Secure effort is the adoption of the Quad9 cybersecurity platform across
all New York City guest and public WiFi access locations. Quad9 provides an
automated security solution by leveraging the domain name system, known as
the DNS, to block known malicious and bad websites through the use of more
than 18 threat intelligence feeds. Not only does Quad9 provide a robust
layer of security, it is highly privacy-preserving as no personally
identifiable information is collected or stored. Quad9 is a free, easy to
use service available to any organization, corporation, or individual.

By using Quad9 the city is also leveraging an investment made by NYC. Quad9
was created, in part, by the Global Cyber Alliance (GCA), a non-profit that
was founded by Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance, Jr., the City of
London Police, and the Center for Internet Security, with a seed investment
of asset forfeiture funds provided by the Manhattan District Attorney.

“This is a tremendous step in protecting citizens against all manner of
cyber risk,” said Mary Kavaney, Chief Operating Officer of the Global Cyber
Alliance (GCA). “The city in delivering free WiFi as a public service is
taking a significant step to ensure that the service is provided with
security built in while at the same time protecting New Yorkers’ privacy.
While it’s impossible to protect against every threat, using Quad9 to
protect against known malicious sites is a huge benefit to users of the
service. On behalf of GCA, we commend New York City for taking this step.”

“Quad9 was built with the public in mind. It is a free service that
provides security and protects the privacy of its users,” said John Todd,
Executive Director of Quad9. “We’re very encouraged to see New York City
embracing Quad9 and using it for public good, and we hope New York’s
leadership in implementing this free service is a model for other cities to
use to protect their citizens and networks.”

“NYC Secure delivers a world-class cybersecurity upgrade to New Yorkers and
all who use our City’s expanding public WiFi network,” said Manhattan
District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr. “In 2015, I joined with the City of
London Police and Center for Internet Security to found the non-profit
Global Cyber Alliance (GCA), which co-developed the Quad9 technology being
adopted today. We are delighted to see the work of GCA and its partners
integrated into groundbreaking programs like NYC Secure, which will expand
the reach of safe-browsing technology and protect millions of residents and
visitors alike. I commend Mayor de Blasio and his administration for its
proactive and collaborative approach to combat the rising tide of
cybercrime.”

“I applaud Mayor De Blasio for including Quad9 in his NYC Secure initiative
which establishes New York City as a leader in helping to protect its
citizens from malicious websites,” said John Gilligan, Executive Chairman,
Center for Internet Security.

“The strength of the Global Cyber Alliance and the tools it has developed,
such as Quad9, lie in the global partnerships that support it.  By
harnessing talent and commitment from the within industry and the public
sector, we take a step closer to tackling cyber crime,” said Ian Dyson,
Commissioner, City of London Police.

Quad9 was conceived of by GCA and built in collaboration with IBM and
Packet Clearing House (PCH). Since its launch in November of 2017, Quad9
usage has increased more than 27-fold and is used in more than 150
countries around the world, resolving billions of queries every day. Each
day, approximately 2 million domain lookups are blocked, protecting the end
user from connecting to a malicious destination. These blocked lookups
represent attempts to reach phishing, ransomware, botnet command and
control servers, and other forms of harmful or fraudulent systems.
To start using Quad9 today, simply change your DNS settings in your device
or router to point to 9.9.9.9. Learn more about Quad9, including how to set
it up on either a Mac OS or Windows system at www.Quad9.net.

About Quad9

Quad9 is a free, recursive, anycast DNS platform that provides end users
robust security protections, high-performance, and privacy. Quad9 is an
independent non-profit formed from a collaboration of IBM, PCH and GCA.
Learn more at www.Quad9.net.

About Global Cyber Alliance

The Global Cyber Alliance (GCA) is an international, cross-sector effort
dedicated to eradicating cyber risk and improving our connected world. We
achieve our mission by to uniting global communities, implementing concrete
solutions, and measuring the effect. Learn more at
www.globalcyberalliance.org.

*Copyright © 2018 Global Cyber Alliance, All rights reserved.--
218 565 9365
*