[NA-Discuss] NA-Discuss Digest, Vol 137, Issue 36

John Laprise jlaprise at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:36:41 UTC 2018

Hi William,

As far as I can tell, notice was given and available in a timely fashion.
Elections occur at fixed regular intervals. I heartily agree that
information is not as user friendly as it might be and ICANN is working on
improving it's UX.

NARALO just finished a round of bylaws updates to sync it's calendar and
processes with those of other RALOs, so that might be a cause of confusion.

NARALO, At Large, and ICANN are all very interested in supporting diversity
and to that end encourage you to apply. At Large as a constituency, is
among the most diverse SOs/ACs geographicly as the ALAC is constituted in
that way

With respect to the Ombuds, if you feel policy and procedure have been
violated, you are free to take your complaint there. Ombuds will
investigate and may make recommendations applying to future elections. If
you take this route, I strongly encourage you to familiarize yourself with
the Ombuds scope of authority and applicable evidence. Our Ombuds takes
investigations quite seriously.

Finally, ICANN does not have shareholders per se. Our governance structure
is (fittingly) unique and decentralized. Board members are appointed by the
various SOs/ACs and the Nominations Committee. NARALO is one of 5 RALOs
that comprise At Large.

Best regards,

John Laprise
NARALO ALAC Representative