[NA-Discuss] Seeking Regional Advice for a New ALS

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Feb 13 13:01:16 UTC 2016

CLUE wholeheartedly supports the application.

Frankly, I am puzzled why this particular application demands a level of
due diligence not expended on other applications -- down to describing
unnamed members of the applicant involved in ICANN through other channels.

Full disclosure: Within NARALO I am here representing one ALS, the Canadian
Linux User Exchange. However, I am also a member of another ALS (GTALUG,
though I fear I may not have renewed properly since my move), on the Board
of Directors of a third (ISOC Canada), and a participant in a fourth ALS
not even in this region (ISOC Switzerland).

Am I in trouble?

Is there a rule somewhere that demands only one entry point, or even
considers such broad involvement a Bad Thing?

Exactly when did such cross-participation become an issue worth flagging?

- Evan

On 12 February 2016 at 18:36, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> ​Thanks Nathalie,
>
> In this case I support the application.
>
> joly
>

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Nathalie Peregrine <
> nathalie.peregrine at icann.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Joly and Judith,
>>
>> The answer to 5d is in the application form:d. Are the leaders of your
>> organization, as individuals, involved in other similar organizations or
>> entities? "Yes
>>
>> If yes, please say which ones: IGF, IGF-USA, ICANN, etc"
>>
>> The Youtube link is copied over two lines, and therefore needs to be
>> copied and pasted into a browser:
>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4buVHalBRoOTPG23ZZfndjPr1iHqznaa
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> Nathalie
>>

>> From: <na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org> on behalf of "
>> judith at jhellerstein.com" <judith at jhellerstein.com>
>> Date: Friday, February 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM
>> To: "joly at punkcast.com" <joly at punkcast.com>
>> Cc: NA-Discuss <na-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
>> Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss] Seeking Regional Advice for a New ALS
>>
>> Hi Joly,
>>
>> Thanks for your comments. As we found out there is no way to amend the
>> application so we added an amendment. We had seen several missing pieces
>> and flagged several for questions to the applicant. We will notate this for
>> our records. We will be writing a paper to give to Holly about changes we
>> would like to see on the application so if you or others have any
>> suggestion please do let us know.
>>
>> Best,
>> Judith
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Feb 12, 2016, at 1:34 AM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
>>
>> In the application, not that it matters much, there is no answer to 5 d)
>>  and the YouTube playlist cited in 6 c) is not found.
>> ​j​
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Judith Hellerstein <
>> judith at jhellerstein.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ALSes,
>>>
>>> We are seeking Regional Advice for a new ALS, The Great Washington DC
>>> Internet Society has applied to be an ALS in NARALO.  I am sending their
>>> application to you along with an addendum for regional advice.  As Glenn
>>> and I discovered there are many problems with the current application
>>> process especially as you can not amend the application to add in
>>> additional information. As such we are attaching an addendum.  I have also
>>> added some notes to the application.  Additionally, the group has
>>> Organization Members who provide financial support to the organization and
>>> have seats on the Council.
>>>
>>> Also for transparency purposes we add that the Washington DC ISOC
>>> chapter is also involved with another ICANN constituency, they are a member
>>> of NPOC. However, there is no real place on the application for to show
>>> this.  Additionally, as their by-laws state
>>> <http://www.isoc-dc.org/by-laws-2015/>
> [...]

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH

Em: evan at telly dot org