[NA-Discuss] NARALO CONSENSUS RESULT

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed May 20 22:08:32 UTC 2015

Robert,

As I said in reply to your earlier message, I had
informed the Nominating Committee of the
possibility that this might happen, and I would
inform them if and when it actually did occur. I
do note that the two other ALAC Members from
North America have both served on the NomCom and
are well versed on the procedures.

The selection has now been declared official and
I have indeed notified the Nominating Committee
(Chair, Associate Chair and support staff).

I am not aware of any need to seek advice from
ICANN Legal. I presume if there is such a need,
the NomCom will do so. I am aware of only one
other resignation of a NomCom appointed person to
the ALAC, and in that case, the resignation was
tendered to the Chair of the ALAC. I did not feel
that such a formality was necessary in this case.

Regarding when the NomCom chooses to refill the
vacancy, I and NARALO have no control. Vacancies
due to resignations are not particularly
uncommon, so I will have to presume that the
professionals we have in charge of the NomCom
will find a way forward. Whether it will be
handled by the 2015 NomCom or the 2016 NomCom or
in fact have the seat left vacant for a year, is
not within my realm of knowledge or control.
Although I cannot claim that input from me serves
as "guidance", I will say that I have strongly
recommended that the seat be filled as soon as possible and practical.

Regards, Alan