[NA-Discuss] ICANN 51 in LA

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 10 21:10:33 UTC 2014

I think the theme for the LA meeting will be "recovering from London". :-P

And by that I don't just mean At-Large recovering from the Summit.
Initiatives started at that meeting on ICANN accountability and IANA
oversight are evolving more chaotic by the day. A high level accountability
working group that was supposed to be convened in London doesn't even have
a structure yet, let alone people or meetings. Half of the GNSO is divided
-- and way overdue -- in picking its representative to the ICANN Board. And
there are rumblings of ICANN starting the wheels on a second round of gTLD
applications before we know the public consequences of the current round.

But also, most of what we would have in a Showcase in LA has already been
done at the Fayre in London. It's fairly certain that ICANN won't fund
North American ALSs to go to LA, as the last NARALO General Assembly took
place there just two weeks ago. The only funded NARALO people will be the
existing five (plus whoever is elected to replace them in the coming term).
Given that vastly reduced level of in-person participation, what kind of a
showcase would be possible?

- Evan