[NA-Discuss] Article on CircleID by Chris Grundermann (ISOC CO ALS)

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon May 27 20:09:53 UTC 2013

On 27/05/2013 19:32, John R. Levine wrote:
> I entirely agree that ARIN and RIPE have some dubious policies, but they
> have their own bottom up multistakeholder blah blah processes which is
> where these fights will happen.  For ICANN, which has not distinguished
> itself as a steward of the public interest, to attempt to lecture them
> would be, well, amusing.

...and I believe that any lecturing would indeed definitely be the wrong
way to go about it.

Hence the need to follow the Strategy to continue to engage the ASO as
the ALAC has recently - but with an overall long term plan in mind: to
identify where RALOs can help RIRs and where RIRs can help RALOs.

In Beijing the ALAC ExCom had breakfast with the ASO executive which had
a representative from each RIR. We explained that whilst some RALOs have
already forged good links with their local RIR, others have not yet done
so. The next step is to have RALO leaders meet with RIR leaders and I
hope that this will be possible in Durban.
I hope that the initiative towards this enhanced collaboration will
yield more interest from ALSes into the bottom-up RIR processes, thus
raising the level of Internet user input in those processes. Sponsorship
of select ALS representatives to attend RIR events is already practiced
in some regions. I also hope that this enhanced collaboration will also
help strengthen the current multi-stakeholder model as a whole,
dispelling critics of the RIR model that current IP address allocation &
policy is opaque & unfair and needs to be handed over to governments.

Kind regards,

Olivier