[NA-Discuss] Article on CircleID by Chris Grundermann (ISOC CO ALS)

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon May 27 17:32:18 UTC 2013

> John, assuming I understood you correctly then, and frequently
> previously, are you are of the view that no advice should be offered
> to the Corporation by the At Large Advisory Committee or any of its
> regional constituents on the necessity for retaining the public
> interest as informing allocation policy because ICANN should not
> attempt to influence NRO and its RIR member allocation policies?

ICANN can offer whatever advice it wants, but it shouldn't be surprised
when the RIRs ignore it.

I entirely agree that ARIN and RIPE have some dubious policies, but they
have their own bottom up multistakeholder blah blah processes which is
where these fights will happen.  For ICANN, which has not distinguished
itself as a steward of the public interest, to attempt to lecture them
would be, well, amusing.

Regards,