[NA-Discuss] Article on CircleID by Chris Grundermann (ISOC CO ALS)

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon May 27 17:29:05 UTC 2013

So...

ICANN has no actual jurisdiction over ccTLDs or RIRs, yet it presents
itself to the world as a custodian of Internet names and numbers. (Such is
implied in the org's bloody name.)

And in the only remaining relevant space it does have some authority --
gTLDs -- it has let itself be captured by the industry it is supposed to be
... overseeing (dare not use the "R" word!). As a natural result, we are
witnessing a landscape in which selling as many domains as possible for as
much as possible -- regardless of what is needed to maintain Internet trust
and stability -- is the name of the game.

And people wonder why our outreach sucks. Too much of the rest of the world
seems to know that affecting change in this -- from a public interest PoV
-- is pretty futile. Arguably it's amazing ICANN At-Large generates as much
interest as it does ...

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada