[NA-Discuss] Fwd: net neutrality and peering wars continue

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Jun 19 22:38:13 UTC 2013

Colleagues,

I concur with Randy Bush, whom I've known since he was an Ops Area
Director of the IETF(*), the article is quite good, and usefully puts
the issues we tend to see in either/or network neutrality narratives
in the economics of peering and settlement between bandwidth providers
and over-the-top services providers.

Anticipating the standard question: what has this to do with ICANN,
while there are address block holders and autonomous systems holders,
the allocations of those -- the ipv4 run-out scenario we're now in, is
not the locus of change, nor is the ICANN vs ITU dance the locus of
change, but rather the economics of peering and transit, showing the
limitations of ICANN as a technical coordinator of unique endpoints in
the change that affects more internet users than the new gTLD program,
or the prices of domains in price capped registries.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon

(*) I suppose I should mention at some point that I'm a member of the
recently formed Performance Directorate of the IETF.