[NA-Discuss] Domain hijacking

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jun 19 03:44:07 UTC 2013

May I suggest that people interested in this issue take a look at the
"Final Report on the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy - Part B Policy
Development Process". This PDP was undertaken specifically to look at
the issue of domain hijacking, and resulted in a number of
substantive recommendations to facilitate the urgent return of
hijacked domains. The policy was adopted by the ICANN Board on 25 Aug
2011 and was implemented on 01 June 2012.

The actual policy implementation can be found at
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/transfers/policy-01jun12.htm.
Of particular note are the sections on the Transfer Emergency Action
Contact (TEAC) and the requirement for a registry to undo the
transfer under certain conditions, and the requirement for the
Registrar of Record to notify the registrant of the impending transfer.

Also perhaps of interest is the original SSAC report on hijackings -
http://archive.icann.org/en/announcements/hijacking-report-12jul05.pdf.

Alan