[NA-Discuss] Dotless domains

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Sun Jun 9 22:39:47 UTC 2013

Darlene,

A domain name that consists of a single label is referred to as a "dotless domain name". Use of dotless names could provide potential innovations to the domain name industry and new gTLD applicants, but their use also raises usability, functionality, security and stability concerns as described in the SSAC 053 advisory.

SSAC 053 advised against it. Further work is proceeding to document the security and stability implications of dotless domains.

On the 28th of May  ICANN  announced that it has commissioned a study on the potential risks related to dotless domain names based on SAC 053 report. The study report will identify and describe the potential risks that dotless names raise with particular focus on those related to security and stability. The report will also provide options forICANN as to how to mitigate the various risks and will describe the pros and cons of the options.

In both cases ICANN intends to deliver the study teams findings before the ICANN 47th meeting in Durban, South Africa.

ref
-  http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/documents/sac-053-en.pdf
- http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-28may13-en.htm

regards