[NA-Discuss] address allocation, was Google Fiber

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Feb 11 00:31:48 UTC 2013

> Naive, as I am, I am still a little unsure of how much the
> distribution of ip addresses is ICANN's business.

It is ICANN's business to the extent that ICANN runs IANA which handed out
most of the original /8 allocations, and has a modest pool of returned
space.

But IP space routing happens from the bottom up, unlike domain names which
work from the top down.  If the RIRs decided they didn't like IANA's
policies, they could ignore IANA, allocate space to their existing and new
customers any way they want, and there wouldn't be anything ICANN could do
about it.

So even if we were to dislike the RIRs' plans, I wouldn't waste our
limited volunteer time on it.  As several of us said before, if this is
something of importance to you, engage directly with your local RIR.

R's,
John