[NA-Discuss] Draft NARALO Operating Procedures

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 6 14:15:52 UTC 2013

At 06/08/2013 08:31 AM, Thompson, Darlene wrote:
>Nice job, Alan!
>
>I would also offer the following:
>
>#4 Only mentions English and French - Spanish should also be included.

I also note that what is there is not actually correct, in that with
very few exceptions, we have not translated anything (the Operating
Principles) were among the very few I could find). I'm not saying
that is good, but that is the reality. I would suggest that this
section is not causing us any IMMEDIATE OPERATIONAL problems, and
that when we do a re-write, we replace it with something that is both
realistic and accurate, and adheres to the current ALAC/ICANN rules
and policies. As such it will require more discussion than we want
now to get these "fixes" in place.

>#12 refers to ALAC members being chosen by a rough consensus
>process.  This has never been done.  It has always been done by a
>voting process.  The rough consensus wording should rather be used
>for routine decisions.

I am happy to make such a change if there is such a will.

>#16. If an ALS loses its voting status, how can it regain it through voting?

This is something that we should fix, as cleaning up of ALAS status
should be a high-priority issue. Can you offer a quick fix? One that
comes to mind is that at the one year point they are notified and
have one year to fix or we mark inactive and recommends decertification.

Alan