[NA-Discuss] Conference Call Attendance!

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:22:33 UTC 2012

See my responses inline
-Carlton

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I think that ratio is rather good. And I asked because I did not know.
>
> Carlton: I do not understand the reference to priests.

Worshipful folks come to church but he, the priest, stands between them and
salvation...and he's supposed to bring them to salvation!

Meaning, if it takes me to remind you what you committed to when you signed
up, it makes for longer volunteer hours for me and likely detract from the
main reason I was willing to volunteer in the first place.

....and you probably should not have bothered!

> But then again I do not understand the differentiation people are making
> between a job one does for money and one that one does as a volunteer.  I
> always thought I need to bring the same level of devotion to both - if
> anything, perhaps even a bit more goes to the volunteer job because I am
> doing it because I think it is needed and I want to and not just because
> someone is giving me money.

Agreed.  And time, for me, is money!  So I'm minded not to fritter it away,
calling up, reminding folks that 'hey, you signed up for this job. Now get
up and look lively'!.

> And no, please before anyone jumps at me defensively, this is not meant as
> either a VolunteerBash or a StaffBash*.
>
> avri
>
> * An aside: is it possibe to disagree with or criticise a member of ICANN
> staff without being accused of StaffBashing?

I'm sure you can!  But with respect to At-Large Staff and IMHO, they go
beyond duty to be helpful. I say this as one who could not function without
support of former staff members from positions I've held, in both corporate
and academia lives.  They know they have me for life. And in return, they
are absolutely dependable!