[NA-Discuss] Voting None of the Above Re: …

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Fri Jul 20 10:50:43 UTC 2012

+1

Very well said.

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
N-CAP/Department of Education
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
dthompson at gov.nu.ca
From: na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [na-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] on behalf of Evan Leibovitch [evan at telly.org]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 2:20 AM
To: Kieren McCarthy
Cc: NA-Discuss Discuss
Subject: Re: [NA-Discuss]       Voting None of the Above Re: …

On 19 July 2012 12:39, Kieren McCarthy <kierenmccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:

*At the risk at getting embroiled in pointless name-calling, John I think
> you are demonstrating precisely the mindset that is behind the reason that
> only one person is standing for each of the four positions.*

Kieren, you *are* getting embrolied in pointless name calling.

Funny that you suddenly seem so interested in At-Large issues when it comes
to our internals.  We've been active in promoting end-user sensibilities in
WHOIS, gTLD, trademark, internationalization and other issues. I've
personally been trying -- practically begging, since before Prague -- to
get you to even LOOK at the R3 white paper At-Large has produced, an
broadly-crafted attempt to make ICANN more representative of (and
accountable to) the world at large. You've been WAY too busy for that. But
not too busy to gawk at an unfortunate personal issue, and pass judgement
on a consensus process that seems to work for most. Like most
decision-making systems, it's imperfect. But it does result in NARALO
members' initiating more than its share of ALAC policy initiatives, and
still being the one of the only regions with a formal acceptance of
participants who aren't part of an ALS.

And yet... Rather than focus on the substance of what we're actually trying
to say -- which you have completely ignored to date -- you seek to dwell on
the "what gives you the right to say it?" approach.

Sorry there wasn't any tabloid fodder for you on Monday (the first NARALO
call you've attended ... ever?). No meltdown. Not even raised voices. Just
talk about policy, planning for the Toronto meeting, and ensuring the
everyone who had something to say on our internal issues was heard,
Smoothly run and ended on time. But judging from your takeaway comments,
Plan B appears to be focusing on why At-Large doesn't function more like
Amway.

*So here are some questions:*

Really? REALLY?
Are you really asking volunteers to provide the research that you will then
turn around and sell to others?
And then complain that we don't have enough time for <insert your pet issue
here>?

If your questions are intended to discover holes in ICANN's At-Large
outreach strategies, you'll have an easy time of it once you do the
research. If your intentions are indeed constructive, you're welcome to
join us in advocating At-Large growth through anywhere near the kind of
resources that ICANN expends to grow its pool of registrars and TLDs. But
the tone just appears as building a case for diverting our limited
volunteer resources away from understanding and shaping the ICANN
labyrinth, and towards recruitment. No thanks.

My ALS (and a number of others) was discovered and brought in by Jacob
Malthouse, an ICANN staffer whose job it was to go out and engage members
of the public who'd never heard of ICANN -- let alone cared about it -- and
convince them to get them involved. Jacob's job was difficult; too bad you
can't ask him about it because his position no longer exists, so it's no
surprise the job isn't being done anymore. NARALO has made proposals to
duplicate this task using volunteers instead of staff, but our request to
get even basic expenses covered for this project has been turned down for
two (or it it three?) years in a row.

*These are basic questions, basic steps for a grassroots organization.
> And they all cost $0.*

How sad that you consider volunteer time to be worthless. Mine isn't.

- Evan
------
NA-Discuss mailing list
NA-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org