[NA-Discuss] Fwd: "Domain Protection Racket" Promotion onNetwork Solutions Home Page

Garth Bruen at Knujon.com gbruen at knujon.com
Thu Sep 1 13:49:28 UTC 2011

Michele,

<<A lot of people would disagree with you and state that it works in the
favour of IP holders who like to bully registrants>>

I'm sure it happens but it's not what I observe in my work. I see domain
registration used as a weapon against consumers. I have recorded 2342 domain
names in the last six-months alone with a drug name that starts with the
letter "v", NONE of which are owned by the brand owner, ALL were spammed and
ALL are selling drugs illegally. Shame on brand owners who don't protect
their IP, but the system as is does not protect the consumers who suffer the
most in this scheme.

<<Garth - you are deliberately misusing the term "sponsor" with the clear
intent of establishing some kind of beneficial connection between registrars
and their clients.  Please stop - it's intentionally inflammatory and
completely misleading.>>

Michele, I DELIBERATELY use the term "sponsor" because this is the correct
term used in the RAA 18 times to describe the relationship. In the simplest
form is in RAA 1.16:

 "A Registered Name is sponsored by the registrar that placed the record
associated with that registration into the registry."

You wishing this language not be true does not make it so. A domain is not a
pint of milk that someone walks out of the store with, it exists within the
DNS for a contracted period of time because the Registrar keeps it there.
Sponsorship. If you have a problem with the language, talk to ICANN and get
the RAA amended don't take it out on me.

Your response to me in accusing me of being inflammatory and misleading is
beneath the dignity of this forum and I won't have it.

Additionally, for a Registrar to tell a member of the community in the
At-Large forum to "stop" anything is completely inappropriate and a clear
attempt at intimidation. Being neither an At-Large member or in North
America you are a guest in this forum. My discussion is about entities and
policy, yours is personal.

I will not engage in an argument further about this, you can take any
concerns about what I have said to the At-Large chair or ALAC.

Good day.