[NA-Discuss] Length of At-Large Comment Periods

Beau Brendler beaubrendler at earthlink.net
Tue May 31 19:29:07 UTC 2011

Unfortunately this is not a new problem. And it's not limited to ALAC -- I have seen the NCSG having to respond with similar, ridiculous turnaround deadlines set by the GNSO. Here as there, it's as if volunteers are expected to drop whatever they are doing in order to comment on ICANN business, whether trivial or significant.

I do not know what a solution would be. Some of the more cynical among us might assume bureaucratic intent on the part of ICANN? Analogous in some way to the old attorney's trick of burying one's opponent in a blizzard of paperwork the night before a hearing?

We should thank Danny for raising this point so dramatically. It is a fundamental flaw in the system.

One possible way of working within it is to firmly designate subject experts on a broad range of topics and delegate to them, with trust, the duty of drafting a core response as soon as the request is made, then giving the community a chance to comment on it, rather than just opening it up broadly and hoping someone comes forward with something to say.