[NA-Discuss] FW: [Secretariat] Letter of support for promoting non-English/non-Latinscripts in New gTLD Application Process

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sun May 29 20:29:31 UTC 2011

Hi Avri,

I'm not clear how supporting the letter detracts from support for the other
worthy issues you mention. But I can see how it would perhaps give a cost
advantage for the same string  to a big pockets international multi domain
applicant over a local applicant  (at least sans JAS), or at least pre-empt
same.  There could be an objection process.

I note that it has support from notable members of both At-Large and NCUC. I
imagine the rationale is that giving non-ascii domains this kind of help
will in turn boost the whole multi-script Internet in the wider public good.

I understand your point to be just extend opportunites for corporate string
grabbing, and the marketing thereof, while possibly depriving local
communities of ownership of those strings as valid, but wonder if it trumps
the above?

I think there may be specific examples of multi-script communities where it
might make a lot of sense.

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not an ALS rep, and just an individual member of an ALS but I do not
> think supporting this letter is a good idea.
>
> I think we should concentrate on the issues related to supporting less well
> off groups getting an application for drastically reduced fees and with
> support than on a plan that predominantly supports  businesses who want to
> get multiple TLDs on the cheap so that they can corner the  raw resources of
> less developed economies - (TLDs in local languages and scripts) based on a
> single ASCII application.
>
> I also think its claim that the expenses for ICANN would be the same is un
> substantiated.
>
> So I do not have a vote, but I do hope you do not sign on to this letter.
>
> a.
>

> On 20 May 2011, at 09:59, Thompson, Darlene wrote:
>
> > See below.
> >
> > Darlene A. Thompson
> > CAP Administrator
> > N-CAP/Department of Education
> > P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
> > Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
> > Phone:  (867) 975-5631
> > Fax:  (867) 975-5610
> > dthompson at gov.nu.ca

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com