[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Mar 30 00:01:32 UTC 2011

On 3/29/11 6:31 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:

> Does general ALAC membership understand that a recommendation to numerically limit the first round would substantially delay approval of the Applicant Guidebook?   I'm interested to know if this point is well understood.

Nope. I can't say that I've come to that understanding.

Quoting from your earlier note ...

> Simply put,  this limitation mechanism would need to find a rationale way for us to decide that the .NYC application (say) was allowed proceed,  and the .PARIS application (say) was not.

While possible in theory, just as in theory a maximum of 500
applications in a round could mean zero, or one, my thinking is that a
significant number of the municipal applications I know about --
Barcelona, Paris, New York, ... will be in any 500 or fewer first
tranche of applications, even if the majority of the first, and any
subsequent tranche of applications are made by domainers or brand
managers or generic standard .biz/.info imitators or IDN extensions of
Verisign's .com/.net/.name set of franchises.

In theory of course there could be 501 public interest applications by
non-profit entities representing public administrations, and a 500 per
tranche limit would necessitate finding the one application that would
be deferred ...

If you're going to attempt to persuade the NARALO subscribers perhaps
using a less unlikely hypothetical than an exclusive choice between
one of the first three city administrations to actually engage in the
selection of a registry operator would be more credible.

Eric