[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Libya Shuts Off Internet Again: This Week in Online Tyranny

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Fri Mar 11 03:25:21 UTC 2011

No attribution Antony?

On that last item that's a longstanding policy at fb, accounts are for (real
name) people, pages are for everything else. A new development (I am told)
is that once can switch identity between person and page when posting.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Antony Van Couvering <avc at avc.vc> wrote:

> I thought this compendium of government abuses of the Internet might
> interest people as we head into the SF ICANN meeting, where governments will
> continue to assert their right to make wholesale changes to ICANN consensus
> policy and demand a case-by-case review of new gTLDs.
>
> Antony
>
> P.S. This just covers what happened *this week*
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > Date: March 10, 2011 2:02:00 PM PST
> > Subject: Libya Shuts Off Internet Again: This Week in Online Tyranny
> > Source: ReadWriteWeb
> > Author: Curt Hopkins
> >
> > Libya shuts down the Internet again. Libya shut down the Internet for a
> brief period in mid-February. Then again on March 3, it shut it down
> completely and it has remained off.
> >
> > This has not had what we can presume is the desired end of this action,
> the end of the revolt. Nor has it kept information from getting out of the
> country. As we've mentioned elsewhere, a lot of the information we get is
> distributed by Libyan expatriates who are in contact with protesters inside
> the country.
> >

> > Saudi Facebook protester disappeared. Faisal Ahmed Abdul-Ahadwas,
> believed by some of his fellow protesters to be one of the administrators of
> a Facebook group calling for a "Day of Rage" on March 11, has disappeared
> and is believed to have been murdered by Saudi security. The Facebook page
> has 17,000 members.
> >
> > The killing, if it was a killing, is a concrete example of how serious
> the kingdom is in saying it won't "tolerate" protests.
> >
> > Zimbabwe arrests 45 for viewing Egypt protest footage and makes its first
> "Facebook arrest." 45 Zimbabweans were arrested for attending a meeting
> called "Revolt in Egypt and Tunisia: What lessons can be learnt by Zimbabwe
> and Africa?" where they watched DVDs of Egypt news coverage.
> >
> > Zimbabwean Vikas Mavhudzi left a comment on the Facebook account of
> opposition politician Morgan Tsvangirai saying that the protesters in Egypt
> had a "unity of purpose worth emulating" and was arrested for "subverting a
> constitutional government."
> >
> > China's internal security budget - including online censorship - passes
> military. Partially in response to the uprisings in the Middle East, China
> has blocked many words associated with those uprisings and begun to arrest
> protesters and possible protesters. Most dramatically, it has also increased
> its internal security budget by almost 14%. They are now spending more money
> on keeping the reins on their people than defending the nation from outside
> threats.
> >
> > Syrian blogger dies. Karim Arbaji, who was imprisoned for publishing a
> poem the regime did not like, was freed from prison a year ago. Several days
> ago he died of a heart attack. It's hard to imagine his time in prison did
> not negatively effect his health.
> >
> > Facebook closes account of well-known Chinese critic. Michael Anti, a
> [...]

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com