[NA-Discuss] Statement on Pre-Registration: Draft for discussion

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Mon Jun 13 14:54:42 UTC 2011

NARLO,

I tried to comment on this "Pre-Registration" post but apparently am not
registered (and there's no registration button?).

Until access to the wiki presents itself, I offer the comment on
pre-registration as it might affect the people and processes of New York
City.

Thomas Lowenhaupt's comment on the "Statement on Pre-Registration (NARLO)"

In the instance of New York City, I can imagine pre-registrations
becoming a matter of civic disruption. For example, imagine small
businesses predicating their business plans on the availability of .nyc
domain names as implied in these pre-registration offers. I start
gearing up to offer weather.nyc. My sister-in-law hears of this new
opportunity and "reserves" crochet.nyc. And Andy at Pizza Boy hears us
jabbering and says he has a new chain of local pizza shops planned and
this would fit in perfectly with his city-wide delivery plan. And on and
on into the thousands.

Next the city starts to take a serious look at the social, economic,
cultural, and civic impact of .nyc and realizes that such a review will
take some time. With cities acting in glacial time rather than Internet
time, this could lead to many thousands of disappointed "pre-registrants."

Now imagine a candidate for mayor, let's say Anthony Weiner - an
advanced Internet use - sees this disgruntled group of pre-registrants
as a political resource that can become a plank in his campaign, "Elect
me mayor and on the first day in office I'll sign off on .nyc - NO DELAY!"

With the ICANN having offered zero, zip, nada, guidance for cities
looking into this once-in-an-Internet opportunity, I can see this as the
winning proposition. "There's no evidence to show that city TLDs are
other than revenue generating." "Our small businesses need it NOW."
"Jobs, jobs, jobs." "Other cities are going to get a jump on us." Etc.

More thoughtful candidates will be left arguing the benefits of
infrastructure. ~ Mayor Weiner.

Thomas Lowenhaupt, Founding Director
Connecting.nyc Inc.

Best,