[NA-Discuss] statement on pre-registration draft for discussion

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Fri Jun 10 23:25:53 UTC 2011

I agree with the general sentiment of avoiding confusion -- more, and
more accurate information is better.

I disagree with the sentences below, specifically as regards
"artificially creating demand."  If the service acts as an indication of
demand, we can dispute its accuracy (lots more people may "pre-register"
if its free than might pay money for a registration, or vice versa, they
might not want to show their hands early) but I don't think it's
insidious for that reason.  I see nothing wrong with letting people try
to measure or justify demand for new TLDs however they like.

On 06/10/2011 06:24 PM, Beau Brendler wrote:
> While United Domains says the pre-registration service is free and non-binding, the NARALO is concerned the offer of such a service could create artificial demand which could then be used to justify additional rounds of TLD creation and release, or might serve to confuse consumers.

Thanks,
--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org +1 914-374-0613
Fellow, Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy