[NA-Discuss] Fwd: The Internet Society on Egypt’s Internet shutdown

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Jan 30 23:10:08 UTC 2011

On 1/30/11 4:48 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> From all the report I have seen, the cut was not related to the DNS.  So names, and hence the GNSO/NCUC would seem to have little to say.

The prefix withdrawal timeline is available here:
http://stat.ripe.net/egypt/

Cowie has a nice write up here:
http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/01/egypt-leaves-the-internet.shtml

Discussed extensively on NANOG and MENOG, though more on NANOG.

Only Noor's prefixes remain announced. Earlier today I was looking at
the Egyptian Stock Exchange (which lost more than 10% today), for
which only one of its three nameservers are on non-withdrawn prefixes.

Eric